Founder Mike Bachman's Year in review
2016 was amazing year for my disc golf life here are some of the highlights.
1. 2016 was my first year playing in the PDGA masters division. Some may think this as a set back or feel bad they are aging, but I loved the fact that I get play again with some of the great players that I learned the game from almost 20 years ago. I started playing Open in 2001 and learned a ton from some of Oregon's, Washington's, Idaho's, and Utah's best. And since turning 40 this year I now get to play tournament rounds with these greats again and I love it.
2. Completing the Ann Morrison Disc Golf Course tee sign and sponsorship project was amazing this project had a ton of hurdles and took over a year to finish and I cant tell you how stoked I am on the tee new signs.
3. Being part of a great team that ran the most successful GSDG Winter series to date. At least till we wrap up 2017's Winter Series
4. Finalizing a City of Trees layout and running the first annual City of Trees Classic in Boise Idaho at Ann Morrison Park.
5. I did get to play in some events and for being away from my discs for all of June July and August I managed to have some great results. l placed in the top 4 in all events but one. Which was the amazing Cinco de Mayo Meltdown which is such an amazing event I had to play even with a torn MCL. I managed 1 win at the Idaho state championships. Idaho's biggest and best event, ran on Idaho's best destination disc golf course Lake Walcott. Sealing the win on the last hole by one shot over good buddy and Innova teammate Steve Loyd. this was also my first event on Team Innova and I had very little time with my new discs but the constancy of the discs from Innova is amazing and I was able to find a few molds I could lean on. some of which were star destroyers, champion thunderbirds, C-line FD, and the two greatest discs made the KC pro Roc and Aviar.
6. Getting Disc Golf Idaho off and running, We are excited to connect with park departments, ball golf courses and private land owners all over the State and beyond to develop professional courses, programs and tournaments all over the state for all skill levels.
Here is a recap of the top 6 moments for team Innova:
Originally posted at www.innovadiscs.com
#6: Ageless Cam Todd (April 2016)
At the Glass Blown Open, Cam Todd proved that you don’t have to be a 20-something to win on the PDGA Tour. At 42-years young, the 2001 World Champion took down the game’s best by one throw amid scorching temperatures and won over many fans in the process.
#5: McBeth wins his 3rd straight European Open (June 2016)
Down five shots to Ricky Wysocki at the beginning of the third and final round, Paul McBeth clicked into his familiar Beast Mode and dismantled the par-64 Beast Course with a 53 (-11), leaving the rest of the field behind.
#4: Hardest Working Woman in Distance (March 2016)
Becoming the World’s longest throwing woman wasn’t just something that fell into Jennifer Allen’s lap. Training intensely prior to the High Desert Distance Challenge, Allen was able to set a new World Flying Disc Federation World Record for Women’s Open Outdoor Distance. Jenn crushed a Star Wraith a whopping 569-feet, a mark she believes she can beat in 2017.
#3: Albatross Sighting (June 2016)
Landing himself on ESPN’s Top 10 highlight segment for the second time in two years, Philo Brathwaiteexposed countless people worldwide to disc golf when he holed-out after only two shots on the 850-foot par 5 using a 167-gram Star Destroyer.
#2: 1109 Feet! (March 2016)
‘How is anyone going to top that?’ – is what many must have thought after David Wiggins Jr. reclaimed the World Flying Disc Federation Open Class World Record for Outdoor Distance. During the High Desert Distance Challenge, Wiggins took advantage of perfect conditions to become the first competitor in history to break the 1000-foot mark. David’s distance disc of choice this year was the R-Pro Boss.
Photo Jeff Panis
#1. Valarie Jenkins Wins her 4th World Championship (August 2016)
Her first World title since 2009, Valarie Jenkins proved she’s still a force to be reckoned with. Despite being down early and for most of the tournament, Val’s never-give-up spirit propelled her to one the most memorable wins of her amazing career.
Huge thank you to Disc Golf Idaho Partners.
#Boise #discgolf #idahodiscgolf #parks #Recreation #Boiseparksdepartment #sports